Australian Wine Vintages (also known as the Gold Book) is Australia’s longest running annual wine guide, first published in 1979. Rob Geddes MW took over authorship in 2007 and has since published 8 editions of the book under his company, Geddes A Drink publications.
Since 2013, the guide has also been published as an app, that can be accessed on a smart phone, notebook or computer. Our goal is to ensure that our advice remains contemporary, with a focus on information for tasting, travelling, drinking, dining and cellaring that can be referenced on the go.
Australian Wine Vintages is trusted by winemakers and wine enthusiasts alike. The fully updated 2016 edition showcases the best new vintages from Australian wineries, with:
- Detailed tasting notes for thousands of wines in the book and app
- Advice on vintage quality
- When to drink each wine
- Top 100 list of wines for 2016 Gold Star wines
- List of certified organic and biodynamic wineries
- Advice on the best regional wine styles and producers in each region
- Travel guide with winery and accommodation information around Australia.
In whatever form our advice is published, what has remained consistent over the years is our mission: to identify premium Australian wines and publish the top 10 per cent in a handy, easy-to-use guide.
How the wines are assessed
Several thousand wine samples come into our offices annually and are judged by reference to body, acidity and flavours, in addition to regionality.
Of the 8000 wines that Rob’s panel tastes each year, only 3500 make the cut. The cull is a process that only becomes more challenging with each year, as Australian wines continue to grow in quality.